January 25, 2010

Rotation Travels

My hubby-hubster (3rd year) and I are currently on our first awaaaay rotation. Like, 23-hour car ride away (we flew though) and staying with our in-laws. Well, my in-laws. His parents.

At first, I was excited to get away for a rotation in the middle of winter. Then, I was hesitant- what about our familiar routine, what about our space, what about our son's sleep schedule?!

But, a dear friend resident wife encouraged me to travel- she said, you never know where you'll end up for residency, see family while you can. So, we jumped and are having a blast. The 9-month-old kid's sleep schedule is a challenge on the road but we've gotten to stay with both my parents and my in-laws= lots of help with baby and LOTS warmer weather. If I can bypass a month of winter, then I count it as a win.

I do miss my girls' group up north but I'm glad that we went away for this rotation and definitely grateful that we were all 3 able to come. Not to be morbid or Debbie Downer, but you can't take for granted visits with family- you're not promised a next one!

4 comments:

Derricca said...

Hey, that is what I would do if I could! :) Good for you! I think it is rare that we do any traveling rotations here. We shall see!

Jeff and Lauren said...

Good for you! I was thinking that you had been there for a while...didn't realize it was a whole rotation. I am sure you are getting lots of support and your families probably love seeing little Henry. Very jealous that you are in the warmth!

Elle said...

I have a question, but it's kind of personal so if you don't want to answer it I completely understand....

Do you work? I'm just curious because my boyfriend and I have been discussing the schedules for 2nd and 3rd year, and I think there's a big part of him that wants to travel with me to away rotations, but we're just not sure how to manage it with a job and what not....

Amanda E. said...

Hey everyone! I'm totally new to this blog---my name is Amanda and my husband, Jake, is now officially a fourth year at IU. We have a 10 month old son, Cole, and although I worked before he was born, I am now a stay at home mom. I would love to be added to the blog! My email is amanda.eichenberger@gmail.com and blog is www.theeichenbergerfamily.blogspot.com. Thanks much!