July 28, 2009

Rotations and A Baby

Yo sisters. In April, we had our first kiddo- Henry James and in June, my husband began 3rd year rotations. We got to start out with 2 pretty nice scheduled rotations- June was Psychiatry- (7 to 3ish was an average day) and July was Anesthesiology (some days he was done at noon!) but now we have started his 3rd rotations- Internal Medicine.

And yesterday, his first day, he was gone from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and this morning he had to be at the hospital at 5 a.m. Yowza- this is a big change. And he'll be on IM for the next 3 months!

However, we will prevail! I will adjust and keep my sanity! I think I just got spoiled with the first two and now it's time for wake-up and smell the cafe late.

2 comments:

Behrmans said...

My husband is in Internal Pediatrics. His alarm goes off sometime around 4 in the morning. He is working Mon-Sat, on call 5 times this month and two of them being overnighters. He is at the hospital until noon, at noon he goes into a class and then another class from 1 to 3. Two days a week he returns to the hospital at 3 to see rare cases. Pretty much he is a busy boy. This weekend will be his first 2 day weekend since he has started and I am so excited about it.

Emily said...

Oh, girl. Third year is challenging but you'll make it. How's life as a momma?! I'm glad your hubby was on an easy schedule those first two months. That really helps.
We had our first baby in my husband's fourth year and his schedule was really great. He had a month of vacation thrown in with some easy medicine at the jail and research. It was nice! So there - you have fourth year to look forward to. Now that we're in residency, my husband is back to crazy hours like those again...and now we have two kiddos. Just make the most of your time at home with your husband. And find some other momma friends in similar situations if you can. I had a bible study of other young mother/med student wives which was a huge help during those years.