January 8, 2009

Your'e Gonna Miss This...

Before I get into my opinions on the life of a med school tagalong, I suppose I should introduce myself and my med-schooler. I am Ali, I am 24 and from Salt Lake City, Utah- I love to sing, dance, and drool over other people's kids. I am also a full time dental hygienist. But most importantly, a wife of a doc in training... My hubby is Josh, he is 26 and is the love of my life. We have been married a year and a couple months now. We dont have any kids yet (sadly) but we do have an adorable dog named Bella who is crazy and so much fun. She is my buddy. We currently reside in Chapel Hill, North Carolina where Josh is in his 1st ( yes, first) year of medical school at UNC.

Ashley: I AM ALSO, terrified and excited about spending the next decade as a medical school tag a long.


A year ago at this time I was right where you are. Josh and I were about to get married and 2 days before he was interviewing in New York. A few days after our Honeymoon he was off to Dartmouth, Oregon, etc. etc. etc. I would lay in bed at night and ponder what the heck I had gotten myself into. How I could possibly pick up my entire life for one amazing person and trust that everything would be ok, that I could live without my parents and friends, that I could be happy, that WE could be happy. Would I fit in in North Carolina? Would I be able to make friends, would I EVER see my husband? The one I waited 3 and a half years to marry?!?!
Now I talk about the title of my post. A good man named Trace Adkins wrote this song. I have heard this song a million times, as most of you probably have if you like country music, but it never hit me til about a month ago. I was driving to work...trees surrounding me on both sides, in every shade of yellow, orange and red. The skye was Carolina Blue and there was not a cloud to be seen. I was in a great mood. And to top it all off Trace was playing on the radio.
" Your'e gonna miss this, your'e gonna want this back, your'e gonna wish these days, hadn't gone by so fast, these are some good times, so take a good look around, you may not know it now, but your'e gonna miss this..."
Have words ever rang so true to me? No. I have loved every second in Carolina so far. Has it been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life? Yes. I miss my parents and sisters so much I could just explode. Sisters in law, best friends, my kitty, parents in law, the Gateway, the mountains, home cooked meals from mom... but man am I gonna miss this. Josh and I have had such a blast being on our own! We have learned a lot about each other. We rely on each other. I am forced to make friends and go out of my comfort zone. I have seen some of the prettiest nature I have ever seen and wouldn't have had we not had this experience. We love each other more every day.
However, sometimes I find myself wishing life would be different. Wishing it away. Sitting in church wishing I was one of those ladies with a newborn baby to cradle. Wishing I could stay home and do crafts all day, wishing Josh didnt have to study, wishing I didnt have 10 more long years of school to put my hubby through. But I know now, Im gonna miss this.
So for my new years resolution, I start today. To stop wishing life away, to live in the MOMENT. To love my job, love being without kids for the time, to love the time i do have with my husband because after year 2 it only gets crazier! And to love North Carolina. 4 years is going to come and go much faster than I think. To imagine the things ahead of us that will make NC special to us makes me so excited. Where we bought our first house, where we had our first baby, where we learned and grew together.
So to all who care to join, I begin this journey with an open mind and a new excitement in being the tag-a -long! We gotta stick together, lift each other when we fall and get through these times because in actuality, we are gonna miss this.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Ali - did you know I needed that today? I just got home from work and I was sitting here thinking, "I'm tired of being the bread winning business woman! I want to stay home and eat Bon Bons!" lol. You're right! I am gonna miss this. What part of Utah are you from? I'm excited to get to know you!

Ali Holt said...

ha ha im glad you liked it. I love writing it helps me vent. We are from Salt Lake...I went to Brighton and Josh went to Alta. What about you?

the Jennings secede from the South said...

SO TRUE. We are stepping into major studying for the boards season and I'm trying to remember the theme of this post...we're going to look back and miss this simple time! (Simple in a lot of ways! We do have a peanut on the way in 3 months).

Ashley said...

My husband and I both went to Davis. We're from Kaysville. Did you know an Emily Brinton in high school?

Ali Holt said...

Oh yeah! I remember her, actually I think I knew her in like 9th grade we had choir together. I dont know her well but I know who she was. That is fun, what a small world.

Anonymous said...

I would love to be added! My address is jarodandash@gmail.com! thanks

S said...

Hey Ali!
We lives in Utah for a while, we both went to BYU. Welcome to the South!! Honestly, North Carolina is beautiful, you will love it. Congrats on starting this journey!!!! We are all here for you.

Sarah said...

Awhile ago I was having a hard day, my husband is just barely applying to medical school and we had just had a new baby. He emailed the words of this song to me and it meant so much. Thanks for posting this. I needed to find this blog today!